Just finished an Exchange Server migration from 2007 to 2013. Wow was this frustrating. Microsoft puts some documentation out there for this; others of us techs put more documentation about this. I’m not sure how much of this was due to the environment for where these servers were located, but it took a lot of patience.
The Web Admin Center throw me off, but this is one of the features I actually like. This way you do not have to logon to the server to open, or install any additional software on your management PC. In this environment, I struggled with mail flow, Autodiscover & ActiveSync.
Lots of issues with mail flow may have been my own doing. I tried to jump in without paying attention to the documentation, and update the receive connectors based on existing ones in Exchange 2007. Word to the wise, don’t do that. Microsoft changed these from 2007/2010, and when I started disabling the ones that “I didn’t need”, well I found out quickly how wrong I was. Outbound email wasn’t working either, but I missed the obvious solution on this one, which was a Microsoft Transport service that did not start properly (FYI, changed this service to Automatic Delayed Start, and seems to keep it under control now).
After mail flow was corrected, dealt with the Autodiscover security alert with Outlook. Again, this could have been the environment, but changing the Client Access Server URL to mail.domain.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml, broke the connection with Outlook & ActiveSync. I had never had this happen before in any version of Exchange that I worked with since Microsoft started the Autodiscover. Turns out I’m going to have to opt for the SAN SSL certificate in this case.
Needless to say I am so looking forward to the next migration to Exchange 2013, and I have a few on the horizon. I’m really hoping the others will go better than this has done.